Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My new favorite, DIY laundry detergent.

It was time to make more of my usual laundry detergent recipe. It was perfect I only had to buy on bar of laundry soap (less than a $1 @ Wal-Mart). I had all the goodies I needed already from my other batches, easy! I went to go grab my 5 gallon bucket, then all of a sudden I didn't want to do it. I just didn't like melting and waiting, and separating.  I just wasn't inspired. Back to the drawing board. I remember seeing a concentrate mix and I wanted to try that, but I got distracted by a little powdered ditty. 
DIY laundry detergent. IT WORKS!

Overall I was concerned because it was a powder concoction. I was afraid it would leave residue stains. Might as well try  I wasn't going to be making the bulk recipe that this site called for! It made 20 pounds, holy dirty socks Batman! But I highly recomended this recipe. 

DIY detergent
Stir Stir Stir! If you do it in a smaller batch use a sealable tub, and shake shake shake!

The best part about it I didn't have to wait over night, and  no residue, and the yummy smell!  I will warn you the bulk recipe, like I said makes a lot. But go for it if you want. I also was low on a couple of the ingredients because I wasn't planning on making this. So I did a little guessing, but this is a sure win. My recipe is in RED below with the original. Also with my recommendations, along with my quantiles I ESTIMATED. This started as just an experiment, but I will be making it again! But the original recipe is easy to play around with. So give it a shot, I LOVE IT! 

BLISSFUL 55‘s HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT RECIPE

Ingredients:

1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax- Found in the detergent aisle 

1/4 of a box Borax (Guestimated, use some sort of clear plastic tub with measurements on the side.)

1(3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda- Found in the detergent aisle

Just a bit less than 1/4 Box of  Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. It's all I had left, so that's why this is what it is!

1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean- Found in the detergent aisle. (This is optional but I highly recommend adding it)

I had about 1/2 a tub, I went for it and dumped it in. YES use it!! AWESOME! $$$ Money saver, buy the store brand, we are saving Money right!$$$

2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Zote Soap- Found in the detergent aisle (we chose to do pink for the scent but the white would be just fine. You can also use Fels Naptha)

1 bar of Fels Naptha, thats what I have always used, never seen the other one. $$Get from Wal-mart, less than a bucks!$$

1 (4 lb) Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda- Found in the cooking aisle (You could also get two 2 lb box, we couldn’t find the larger 4lb box when we went)

Junkies, I just used 1 box 16oz ( open and used a few times) of dollar store baking soda .52 cents! 

1-2 (55 oz) Bottle of Purex Crystals Fabric Softener- Found in the detergent aisle OR 3-4 bottles ofScentsy Washer Whiffs found HERE. (my favorite scent is Quiver)

This is what I left out, I have Purex, good deal and works just as good as Downy! I received a free sample of the Downy Unstopables and Purex is just as good! I only left it our is because I bought the foo-foo smelling scent, I don't think my husband would appreciate it. So I add it when I wash. But I will be buying the fresh scent and adding it. 

Directions

1. Grate zote (laundry bar) soap with cheese grater or food processor.

2. Mix all ingredients together in a large bucket.

3. Use 2 -4 Tablespoons per laundry load. (YES THATS ALL, THATS WHERE THE $$$$ SAVER IS)

1 comment: