Monday, January 7, 2013

Holy Yolks Batman! Whey cookies, and an egg yolk beauty recipe.

So the world (of gluten free protein cooking) has gone anti-yolk! I have been really loving making these breakfast protein cookies of sorts. During the week I don't have time to make the type of breakfast I cook on the weekend. So these little protein whey cookies rock my world. It's been recommended that it's best to eat with in one hour of waking before your coffee or tea. Who has that sort of time? Not I. I have been making my recipe   using the whole egg when they have been calling for the egg white. I just can't  waste food like that, and I have had no immediate use for just the yolks.

As you know I have a full on pantry in my bathroom and I like to whip up food concoctions in the bathroom for my face.  Well I guess its time to add hair concoctions in there too! Where am I going with this? If you haven't guessed I have a use for the yolks now. 

I have always known eggs are great for the hair but I haven't been in the market for hair treatments  Until I ran out of my Wen (the only high beauty expense I have). In the past 15 years I have gone from black to blond so many times its just insane. I would cut it regret it and then go get a weave, bad! I have never have been a wash and go girl. My hair was such a hot mess and I am in the rebuilding process. So I have made a commitment to growing out my hair with out wearing a weave. With the biotin and Wen I have been a human Chia Pet. But with out my Wen, it's time to hit the kitchen!

So here you go, for every non-egg yolk recipe, heres a yolk use recipe... Hmmm... cooking and hair... I could not have combined something you don't want when eating. So lets just call it, and  file it under healthy and natural :-)

Here is my most recent protein cookie. I had to search a lot of body building sites. But these just make sense to me. 

ripped clubChocolate Whey Protein Cookies Recipe


6 egg whites
7 scoops oatmeal (1 3/4 cups)
2 tsp brown sugar OR brown Sweet’n Low®
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup un-sweetened apple sauce
4 scoops chocolate (or vanilla) whey powder
2 dashes cinnamon
1 tsp virgin olive oil
1 tsp maple extract
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 325, bake for 20 minutes, Makes 1 dozen cookies…each cookie has around 14g of protein

Image
Make your breakfast, eat, now make your hair breakfast.



  • Use 1 or 2 egg yolks, depending on hair length/thickness.

  • Whip it! Whip it good! Until watery.

  • Use one table spoon of olive oil* for each yolk.

  • Dilute mixture with lukewarm** water and stir.

When adding to hair focus on your ends. But don't neglect your scalp because thats where you want healthy growth.

Now here's the fun:

* You may also use Sunflower oil. Because if you have been oil pulling its already on your bathroom counter.

[Sunflower oil contains gamma linolenic acid, which is an omega-6 fatty acid. Such fatty acids are essential to hair health, says Spencer David Kobren in his book, "The Truth About Women's Hair Loss: What Really Works for Treating and Preventing Thinning Hair."] Source

Sunflower oil also has been beneficial for conditioning greasy hair. Like there's a conditioner for every hair type, there is also an oil too.  Also in my research I found out even more about my new favorite oil.

Sunflower oils is also odorless and can be used with other scented oils for a scented treatment. Also it's a polyunsaturated oil, so it can be used as a leave in treatment. That great omega-6 fatty acid will give a soft feel, and prevent breakage. 

Source: Dreamstime

And this is super important:

** When I say wash hair in lukewarm, I almost want to say cooler than that. Unless you want breakfast on your head. I do not have a remedy to remove scrambled egg from hair. I am also not responsible for any plumbing problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment