Wednesday, January 9, 2013

You will never have to buy 'cream of anything' soup again, or taco seasoning, or ranch or dry soup mix!

I love cooking, and I love my crock pot. I am a big believer of cooking for my family every day. Unless the kids have sent me to the place where I just want to hide in the closet, then daddy has to bring home a take and bake pizza ;-)

The biggest ingredient in crock pot is "Cream of _____ Soup". That's fine and all because there are a lot of  options, same for ranch packets, onion soup, and taco seasoning. They are not super expensive, but have you ever tired to find that little packet in a pinch? OK that just might be me, but have you read the back of those packets and cans? Not exactly the greatest thing for you. So I decided to round up my collection of recipes of the most commonly used mixes in crock pots, and cooking. (These are what I commonly use any way.)

Enjoy! 

Below is my Favorite Dry Onion Soup Mix, because it uses NO bullion or Salt.

source

Author: Angela Litzinger @ angelaskitchen.com

Recipe type: gluten free, dairy free, spice mix

Serves: Equals one packet of dry onion soup mix



Ingredients


  • 8 teaspoons dried onion flakes

  • 1½ teaspoons dried parsley

  • 1 teaspoon onion powder

  • ½ teaspoon celery seed

  • ¼ teaspoon ground pepper

  • ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder



Instructions


  1. Blend everything together well. Use as needed for your recipe.

Note: This blend does not contain salt (unlike the pre-made packets. Hoo-boy! Are they salty!), so be sure to taste your dish and season as needed. 





Taco Seasoning From: Self-Reliance By Jamie


1/2 cup chili powder
1/4 cup onion powder
1/8 cup ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon sea salt


Put ingredients into a jar and shake



Ranch: Also by Jamie



5 tablespoons dried minced onions

7 teaspoons parsley flakes

4 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder



Mix together and store in an air tight container.



For dressing: Mix 2 tablespoons dry mix with 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup buttermilk or sour cream.

For dip:  Mix 2 tablespoons dry mix with 2 cups sour cream.

Source


And the most important one of all:



Cream of "something" soup recipe From: 1 Orange Giraffe

1 cup non-fat dried milk

3/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup bouillon (if you have cubes you have to smash them up)
You can use whatever kind you like (ie, beef, veggie)

4 Tablespoons freeze dried minced onions (I used the minced onions from Sam's Club)

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried thyme (I couldn't find the thyme so I used dried parsley instead)

1 teaspoon pepper

(For the equivalent of one can of condensed cream soup, mix 1/3 cup dry mix with 1 1/4 cup water. Cook until thick)

Source






No comments:

Post a Comment