Saturday, May 11, 2013

Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies a Paleo Recipe

Yikes, you know what the hardest thing going Paleo (after you flush your system from cravings that is)? Is the baking part. I wanted some thing to snack on, something like I dunno, a cookie! I also have 6 tubs of almond butter in my pantry (oops, double ordered). I  have been experimenting like there's no tomorrow. I have tried batch after batch of 'things' containing coconut flour too. They were just gross! They were so dry, and felt like there was a cotton ball lodged in my chest. Lovely huh? Before the personal ban on peanut butter (it's a legume) I never really liked it. Unless it was in a chocolate cup. I also did not like peanut butter cookies either. I know so how did I end up with almond butter cookies? Well they sounded easy enough, and they were mixed with coconut sugar, that got my attention. This was also after countless hours of searching and trying to bake with coconut flour. 
So I found this little ditty, thank you Pot Kettle, Kettle Pot!

This was the easiest recipe too. There are a lot of basic almond butter cookie recipes out there. They all really have just a few ingredients, but this one used my newest favorite: coconut sugar. It's a really great alternative sweetener.
Mentioned  in the blog is that they 'get better with age', it didn't really dawn on me that happens with Paleo style baking. It's so true too, they became even more tasty each and every day!
I will be making these again and again, my new go to Paleo cookie.





Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Chewies (ABC’s)
Makes approximately 20 cookies. They may be small, but they pack a pretty big caramelly punch of flavor.
Here’s what you need…
  • 1 c. unsalted almond butter (Barney Butter is the Nom Nom!)
  • 1 c. coconut sugar 
  • 1 egg
  • ½ – ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • ¼ – ⅓ c. chocolate chips 
Let’s get busy…
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. (You can prep 2 baking sheets or do like i do and just reuse the first one in between batches.)
  3. In a bowl, beat your egg on high for about 30 seconds with an electric mixer.
  4. Add in all of the rest of the ingredients including the chocolate chips and blend together. (If you wait to add in your chips after this step you will have a very hard time trying to get them mixed in!) This mixture will be very thick like sticky grainy taffy. (That’s the best way I can describe it.)
  5. Use a small (1½ T) cookie scoop, to measure out your cookies. Flatten out your dough balls in a criss-cross pattern like a typical peanut butter cookie or just flatten them out to ½” with your finger tips. They do not spread a lot so they can be placed about 1½” apart on your cookie sheet.
  6. Bake for 10-13 minutes. (Don’t be alarmed when you see oil around the outside of each cookie from the almond butter. That’s normal and will not be there by the time they are done.) I don’t like an under done cookie so I tend to bake them more in the 11-12 minute range. I baked a batch for a strict 10 minutes and they were fine but a bit under for me in the center.
  7. Allow these to cool off the hot pan or on a baking rack for 20-30 minutes. They can be stored in the freezer if you allow them to thaw slightly first. I’d store them in a ziploc bag in the fridge if they don’t disappear first.
  8. Enjoy with a glass of milk or a cup of your favorite coffee.
Notes:
I’d advise against refrigerating your dough in between batches. Your mixture will become too stiff and you may mangle your cookie scoop. That would be bad.




I will keep searching for a recipe in the snack realm using coconut flour, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment