Sunday, November 17, 2013

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Dry Rub


What an unexpected surprise this was!
 I try to pick up sale meat at King Soopers (Kroger) to keep in the freezer. I would buy large batches and portion it out for the freezer. But every now and then the entire tray gets tossed in there.(Ooops.) Yesterday I decided to defrost this monster size hunk of pork. It ended up being three large pieces of pork loin, about 3 pounds. I love BBQ, but it is now nonexistent in my house, hubbs NOT a fan. All weekend I was suffering with sinus issues and eating anything spicy, so that became my inspiration! Non BBQ, sinus clearing pulled pork!


For this any pork will do. I had a few bones in mine, but as the meat softened up I was able to pull them out with tongs. But I would prefer a pork roast so it can cook whole then pull apart with forks. But this was a great way to make a meal on a budget with sale meat! 

This was very hubby approved too. I loved the blackened crunchy bits. I threw together come cilantro rice and our burritos were ready. This wasn't planned out, it was a accident surprise, I wish I had some sour cream and avocados on hand. But this will be made again! As soon as I go through all the left overs. This batch made 6 Chipotle sized burritos. 
Hubbys lunches, done! 


This might also be a great pot luck idea, and have a 'build your own burrito' table. Football food. 



Ingredients

  • 3 Pounds of Pork
  • 3 tbsps chili powder
  • 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tsps ground cumin
  • 1 tsp cayenne
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • Oil to coat.
  • Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Use oil as your sticking agent. I poured some in my palm then rubbed it over the pork. I used a large enough bowl (for mixing the dry rub) I was able to put the pork in to the dry rub and roll it around and rub in the dry ingredients. Place in crock pot on low for 6-8 hours, or high for about 4-6 hours. Or until meat falls apart by using a fork. Shred using forks, serve in a burrito, or burrito bowl. Or stand over the crock with a fork.... just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment