Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Damn You Nutella!

Damn you Nutella! Not cool! Why is there not a warning on you, why didn't some one warn me. Why isn't the FDA putting warnings on this. Is the cashier @Kroger negligent for my sugar induced coma. Will they pay for my rehab. I love hazelnuts, how dare you trick me.


Image

I had to write this down quick all this has just derailed me. I was at the store picking up organic juices, and good things. I saw Kroger does their own Nutella yay! Now I can try it, maybe get my toddler to eat it on bananas. Well of course she will, it's crack!! We got home and smeared some on a banana. Went over nicely, all over the face, hair, arms, and now my two year old is hopped up before nap time. Greeaaaaaaaat. There was no nap that day.


Image

Well stupid me, I did it again, thought I'd treat my toddler to having some pretzels dipped in Nutella... *sigh*. I am such a Nutella newb. Some how it exploded, and I am not talking about the kid. I had it down my shirt, and its on the lap top... I just .. I just can't remember what happened. I think I blacked out and went into Nutella shock. 

So now I must do good... I must use it in a recipe. Then it will be gone! You know whats funny.. after I came out of my coma I googled: Damn you Nutella. Good times, I am glad I am not alone.

There were a lot Nutella brownies, and butter cream  all this will not be helping my sugar shock. So I have taken something as EVIL as Nutella and made it nice again. Well long enough to use it, and get it out of your home:-)

Nutella Hot CocoaThis is the easiest recipe to do. I would replace the milk, use Soy, or almond, unsweetened, just to balance out the sweet.

Use a light whip, or soy whip. 

And marshmallows optional. But after comparing, marshmallows they seem more innocent now ;-)

My next adaption is of course make a granola bar! I am going to use one of my base recipes, and add Nutella, and flax seed to make my conscience lighter.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="487"]Nutella Bars Perfectly NOT sugary! A great balance, and NOM NOM![/caption]

Here is my  recipe, along with options and mix in's:

  • 2 cups old fashioned oat

  • 1 3/4 cups of puffed BROWN rice (or just use 3 3/4 Cups of oats)

  • 1/2 cup ground flax*

  • 1 tsp of Cinnamon

  • 1/2 cup wheat flour

  • 1/2 tsp baking powder

  • 2 large bananas (Use ones that are still a bit green, the starch hasn't turned to sugar yet)

  • 1/4 Nutella, or store brand version

  • 1/4 Agave light nectar* ( or honey, or maple syrup)

  • 1tsp of Almond extract*

  • 1/2 tsp of Vanilla*

  • 1/4 tsp salt

  • 1 cup of banana chips lightly smashed

  • 1/2 cup of dried cranberries*


Mix your dry ingredients, set aside. In a small pan melt your smashed bananas, agave, extracts and Nutella. Use medium low you don't want to burn your mixture. After a minute of a low simmer pour over your dry mixture. Use your mixer on low ( or fold in with spoon) until mixed.  Press into a greased pan of choice. Depending on how thick or thin you want them. Bake on 350 for 20-25 minute depending on thickness.  I did 9x9 glass, and it took 25 minutes, I am also in Colorado high and dry altitude cooking. You just want it slightly browned.  Let cool thoroughly. If you get the urge to flip it, wait 10 more minutes. Thats what my husband says. I have a bad habit of not wanting to wait and I flip the pan onto the rack causing my bars to break. It's a cheap excuse to just eat them.

* there's a lot of stars there for a reason. This recipe is so interchangeable depending on how sweet you want it.  Like I said I just came out of a guilty Nutella coma and had to rectify the situation! You can substitute any of your agave nectar for maple syrup, or honey, or use agave with maple extract instead of almond extract. You can use Vanilla extract only, or add it with maple. It's all yummy. I used almond because I just didn't want the sweet, and  used 1/2 of vanilla, I almost wished I did 1/2 of maple, next time! I also starred flax seed, you can also change this to the new super Chia Seed! Flax does add fat, but still amazing for you. It depends where you want to take it!  You can switch out cranberries for chocolate chips or any kind of nut. I just used what I had on hand. Go "nut's" :-)

For quick snacks you can use your banana chips and dunk in Nutella, place on parchment paper and let set in the refrigerator. It also works with just about everything. Avoid shoes, Cheetos, and already fudge covered cookies, I just don't recommend them no matter how bad you need a sugar rush! I will also be dunking lemon cookies, cinnamon graham crackers and pretzels. That way my toddler cant just suck it all off. 

I was hoping to find a support group, instead I get a Fan Club... No No No... that will not help!

Nutella Fan Club




[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="292"] This guy angered the Nutella nation... probably the best thing you could do with it :-)[/caption]

2 comments:

  1. I love love nutella and i put it on the randomest things.
    But sometimes, I'll dip my finger in and lick it off and then stick it in again without thought for hygiene. The recipes sound fabb! xx Karen. ps: following you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Hygiene-schmygiene! I learned everything I need to know from George Carlin; You have to give your immune system something to practice on so it will be strong! (Please avoid licking dumpsters behind bars in New York) For you I would recommend dipping the finished bars half way in the Nutella and refrigerate for it to harden since you are very deep into your addiction. If you can get them in the refrigerator. ;-) Thank You for following!

    ReplyDelete